Anna Mitchael is the Louisiana-born author of two novels and the Kindle singles, Rattlesnake Stories and Rooster Stories. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her family and their one-eyed dog, and writes the monthly column “Back at the Ranch” for Wacoan Magazine. Read more of her work on annamitchael.com.
2:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
State Capitol, Senate Committee Room E
3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Barnes & Noble Bookselling Tent
Mad Men meets The Devil Wears Prada in this lively debut about a young woman working at the hippest ad agency in New York...
So. You want to work in advertising. The glitz, the glamour, the cocktail-fueled brainstorming sessions and Xbox breaks. Sounds like a dream job, right?
Wrong. The reality can be a nightmare. There are five simple rules for succeeding in the ad world—and I think I’ve already broken every single one…
1) Never let them see you cry. Even if your best friend breaks your heart. And posts it all over social media.
2) Be one of the boys. And, if you were born with the wrong equipment, flaunt what you've got to distract them while you get ahead.
3) Come up with the perfect pitch in an instant—or have your resumé ready to go at all times.
4) Trust no one. Seriously. If you don't watch your back, they'll steal your ideas, your pride, even your stapler.
5) Most importantly, don’t ever, under any circumstances, be a CopyGirl.
Book-loving volunteers are essential to the Louisiana Book Festival's success. Whether it's escorting authors, guiding visitors, selling refreshments, working with children in the Young Readers Pavilion or other fun and rewarding assignments, the Louisiana Book Festival wants you to join the volunteer team.